The standard bench press is one of our signature main lifts at the House. It is a great fundamental push exercise that focuses on the upper body.
The main muscle groups worked during the standard bench press are:
- Pectoralis major
- Anterior deltoid
- Triceps brachii
Note: The muscles worked will vary slightly depending on the variation, such as reverse v. narrow grip presses.
- Lie on your back on the bench
- Find a comfortable and even hand placement using knurling on the barbell. Around shoulder width is standard.
- Press feet firmly on the ground and drive through your heels.
- Retract your shoulder blades to engage your lats.
- Lower the bar and touch your sternum, press feet into the floor to push the bar back up.
- Keep core engaged throughout the movement, this will assist in stability.
Note: In order for a repetition to be counted in the upcoming Lift Off, athletes must have the bar make contact with their sternum, with full extension at the top. Failure to make contact with chest will result in a failed repetition.
Need additional help with your bench press? Attend our Bench Press Clinic on November 5th to improve your bench press form, strength, and endurance. Book now with your regular class package.